Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come!
Don't worry, he only wore the tag for 2 seconds.
This is what it looked like coming into his room the morning of.
These are his furry friends he piles on his bed to sleep with. He has actually fallen out of bed because of these guys.
Sweet little angel with sleepy face lines.
Finally opening his eyes. The first thing he said was that the sun was hurting his eyes, but it was the light the sun hadn't actually gotten up yet.
Per Dylan's request, blackberries, "whooped" cream, and waffles. I know he was nervous because he barely ate and he didn't even drink much of his chocolate milk (which is like his life line.)
Dylan on the way to school.
Logan on the way to school.
Brooklyn on the way to school.
The whole clan came out to support. Brooklyn wanted to stay and I think I was the most nervous.
It was so cool to have Todd with us. He had to reschedule trips, but it meant so much to me and Dylan!
Oh, just like BYU.
The tiger on the way to the gym.
Don't make fun of me for looking so tired.
Dylan and his new friend Emma.
This is Dylan's view of the class. Samuel, his friend from church sits right in front of him.
Those are the cubbies on the left and Dylan's table "Beetle #4" is straight ahead.
This is the bulletin board I get to decorate. Dylan's fish is the blue one on the bottom. It made him feel pretty special to have his own blue fish. The teacher told me she wanted to have the best bulletin board..I think I can handle that.
That's the teacher in the yellow, we really like her.
Kenwood Station Elementary School entrance.
Still excited about the day. He told me he made three whole friends in one day. Emma, the girl he sits next to, Blaze (yes, that's his name and who wouldn't want to be friends with a kid named Blaze) and a kid who he couldn't remember the name of but he was taller and had a yellow shirt.
This is a Todd tradition. Pictures on the front porch. We just did them after school. We also did school blessings but instead of just Dylan getting one, we all did. Thanks Todd!
Brooklyn wanted to try his backpack on for size.
Logan showing me where he wants to be.
Logan is trying to figure out how to get past the door ledge, Dylan is an 'Egyptian' and Brooklyn is his 'mummy in a sarcophagus.' So far school and the world outside our home hasn't changed him at all.
This poem is actually kind of sad. What are they trying to do, MAKE us cry? It says:
TODAY
Here's how I looked today.
And how i wrote my name.
Please tuck this away for me.
I'll never look the same.
yesterday is gone.
Tomorrow isn't here.
Today is important.
It's the first day of the school year.
Tear my heart out, throw it on the floor, and jump on it. Yikes. It's hard enough already.
I knew Brooklyn missed Dylan because she asked for him all day. Later, I found out that he missed her too because he drew a picture of himself (purple) and included Brooklyn too (orange).
Brooklyn helped decorate for the celebration, the cupcakes were her idea.
Brooklyn was mad about something.
Getting their surprise lunch bags.
In Brooklyn's treat lunch bag we gave her gum. She held it to her face and said "Oh! I love you gummy." It's her favorite kind.
Celebrating with his favorite "Watermelon sorbet" at Graters.
Brooklyn wishing she could go to school, Ellie going to school for her first time the next day, and Dylan having just finished his first day.
After ice cream we decided to completley wear the kids out by letting them play at the playground. The girls were going on swings and slides and Dylan was giving us all Star Wars characters to portray while he was battling Star Fighters....or something.
This is Dylan trying to get his dad to be "Dark Vadar." And the sunset was so pretty. It was a perfect end to a perfect day. It's kind of funny, with all my milestone days they never turn out exactly as I plan them, and I'm usually a little stressed out before they happen. But once they come everything falls into place perfectly and I end up happier than I had imagined with my original plan. It should be a lesson to me about who's in charge, right? I am just so grateful for another amazing day in the life of my family.
In the end I think this is how we all felt about his first day of school. Triumphant!



2 comments:
Amy-what a sweet posting about a bittersweet milestone...I can totally relate...Everyone else seems to cheer the first day of school...I end up wiping tears! Dylan is one handsome new TIGER and you and Todd are fabulous parents. The school looks so fun...that teacher doesn't know how lucky she is to have you doing her bulletin board. Are you prepared to work full time? HA! What a creative, colorful celebration you planned for such a wonderful day. Give Dylan and the other munchkins a squeeze from their Aunt Lori and have fun documenting all the newly acquired activities of kindergarten.
Whoa! That's some documentation! So glad you, I mean Dylan, survived the first day of Kindergarten. :) He's a cutie. Oh, and p.s., you didn't look THAT tired....
Post a Comment