If you don't know this about me, for most of my childhood up until I was in the 10th grade, I wanted to be an astronaut. Many birthdays and Christmas' were spent with space related presents like astronaut ice cream, cabbage patch dolls, barbies, a constellation machine, a telescope, and even a bird named Venus and a turtle named Discovery. Brooklyn is wearing part of one of my astronaut costumes for Halloween one year. I even competed to win a trip to a mini space camp in San Diego. I knew that I would go to college at the Air Force Academy and become a pilot before becoming an aeronautical engineer. I spent most of my vacation souvenir money on a real replica astronaut jacket (The blue on Dylan is wearing.) My third grades teachers husband took me on behind the scenes tour of an air force base during air shows where I got to meet the real Blue Angels. His name was commander Mike and he was awesome! I had a few lame-o science and math teachers in high school mixed with a few great art teachers and I made the switch.
So, my sis, aka Aunt Petey, aka Heather got to meet a real, current astronaut at her show in NYC. She told him about me and he kindly sent us autographed pictures and patches for each of my kids. The patches actually have his name on them and he even piloted a few. I asked him if he was ever scared during take off and he said that he was so concerned with the safety of his crew that he didn't even think about it. Amazing! His final mission will probably be in July. He is awesome and so is my sis for remembering what a nerd I was when I was little. It makes my heart feel all warm and fuzzy.



3 comments:
Who knew we had our own little astronaut Amy in our midst? HA! HA! What a sweet thing for your sister to do! T minus how many hours and counting till you have that baby?
I didn't see this post until I clicked on "older posts" I didn't realize you ever aspired to be an astronaut. No doubt you would have been a great one. But I, for one, am happy that you kept your feet on the ground. How else would my Toddy-boy have found you????
I didn't see this post until I clicked on "older posts" I didn't realize you ever aspired to be an astronaut. No doubt you would have been a great one. But I, for one, am happy that you kept your feet on the ground. How else would my Toddy-boy have found you????
Post a Comment