Monday, June 28, 2010

A Happy Father's Day

We made these for Todd and the other father's who were attending the party. They are cupcakes with Ghirradeli brownies and frosting. The fries were sugar cookies cut into small strips and covered in sugar all thanks to Bakerella. Fun to make and oh so cute.
Father's Day activities for Todd and Dylan...River Monsters and a good snooze.

We had a wonderful Father's Day celebrating with friends at the Jenkin's house. We all shared our favorite story about our Dad's. Although I have many favorite personal stories of my Dad (fishing, watching Congo and x-files, family trips, and Halloween) I had to share a story about when my dad sold toilet seat covers as adult bibs to unsuspecting foreigners while traveling the world. We all got a good laugh. I'm truly grateful for my Dad and what an example he has been to me and my family. It's been even cooler to see him as a grandpa because it helps me to really appreciate what an amazing childhood I had. He's awesome!

Now for the love of my life, my hubby. I could tell you countless stories of his crazy parties he throws me, the massive amounts of shoes he buys me, or the endless flowers that fill my vases but there have been many more small and simple things he has done that make us feel totally loved, safe, protected, and adored. Here are my top ten....

10. Obviously making the list has to be the moments shared in the hospital when all three of our kids have been born. Todd kept me in the dark about Dylan not breathing so that I wouldn't freak out which was pretty thoughtful and it totally worked.

9. He has stood by my passion for creating and having and idealistic view of what's not impossible for anyone to accomplish. He gives me my space to love all things Disney, Twilight, costumes and ballroom dancing. And he has supported my dreams, especially my most recent of writing a children's book.

8. The kids fight every single night to get to sit by Dad at the dinner table. I get Logan only because he can't really talk well enough to join in the battle for Dad yet. Todd also has taken reading scriptures to the family to a whole new level. Sometimes he uses costumes, sometimes accents but last night we restarted the Book of Mormon and after reading the first three chapters Todd acted out the story with the kids toys. Laban had to be made of Legos so that his head could easily come off and Nephi was represented by Dylan's toy Luke Skywalker (pretty appropriate). Laban's house was a medieval castle and the wilderness was a bunch of pillows that i accidentally sat on. My bad. Needless to say the kids adore Todd and everything he does.

7. I have to add in our date nights, specifically two moments I loved, one dancing on the sidewalk in Vegas and two my 30th birthday party fully catered, on a private yacht, with a Jazz trio and some friends. Most romantic however, was dinner at Sundance when we got engaged. It was the Tree room with Brazilian music, low lighting and the sparkliest thing I had ever seen. Wow!

6. Only Todd will know but... laughing over berries, Sun Dance Film Festival, our 1st unofficial song, "but what you can do?", "This is a disaster", Honolulu, and "way."

5. Getting married in Salt Lake. It makes a covenant that much more real and tangible when you are holding the hand of the one you love in front of everyone else you have ever loved and making promises that are meant to last for eternity. That moment, in the temple is etched in my mind. I remember specific things, words, colors, and people. It was amazing.

4. When I was pregnant with Brooklyn we were visiting Idaho Falls and decided to go to the temple for the earliest session. I hadn't eaten or drank anything that day and we rushed to get there on time. We were asked to be the witness couple and shortly after it began I grabbed Todd's hand and whispered to him that I was going to faint. That was the last thing I remembered. When I woke up a second later totally embarrassed and confused Todd was sitting by my side. He had to carry me back to a seat where some sweet little old lady said the coolest thing ever. She said "he must really love you to take care of you like that."

3. Once in college, we were living in BYU married housing and I was having a really bad day. I think this was one of the most romantic things ever, not so clean, but very romantic. After a quick drive Todd came home with a beautiful, but slightly wilted red rose. What made my day was that it was Sunday so he couldn't go and buy one and he didn't want to wait another day, so he went digging in a flower shop trash bin ( yes, Ang, it's true) to find me a worthy flower. I'll never forget it.

2. We have had one very sad moment (I'm going to spare the details) where Todd sat by my side and cried with me. I have never felt closer to him, ever.

1. Overall he is a dedicated Priesthood holder who strives to do his best as the best Dad and Husband a family could ever ask for. And Brooklyn still wants you to frow her in da sky. Happy Father's Day!

3 comments:

Lori said...

Sweet Amy~ Those are such tender, sweet, kind things to say about your cute hubby and my brother. I know he feels the same about you! That's what makes it so special. I'm glad he found you and that you said "YES!" Happy Father's Day Toddy Boy...you're one of a kind! Love you!

Karla said...

Todd has had a sweet and tender heart ever since he was born. He was a joy to raise and is a joy to watch as a father and husband. I love him so much and I'm thankful that he found you, Amy, as his eternal sweetheart.

amy said...

Amy, such kind words - and well deserved. Happy Father's Day Todd. You are wonderful - and even better with Amy.

Love you both.