This is a section from a talk given by Elder L. Tom Perry of the Council of the Twelve called "God's Hand in the Founding of America," given July 1976. You can find it here.
Our commitment to America has been testified to by many, but I will point out to you special witnesses who have indicated our responsibilities to this land.
First from Brigham Young, second president of the Church: “Will the Constitution be destroyed? No: it will be held inviolate by this people; and, as Joseph Smith said, ‘The time will come when the destiny of this nation will hang upon a single thread. At that critical juncture, this people will step forth and save it from the threatened destruction.’ It will be so.” (Journal of Discourses, 7:15.)
Now another witness, John Taylor, third president of the Church: “When the people shall have torn to shreds the Constitution of the United States, the elders of Israel will be found holding it up to the nations of the earth, and proclaiming liberty and equal rights to all men, and extending the hand of fellowship to the oppressed of all nations.” (The Gospel Kingdom, Deseret Book Co., 1943, p. 219.) This is part of the program.
A final witness is from George Q. Cannon, former member of the First Presidency, who said that “the day will come when the Constitution and free government under it will be sustained and preserved by this people.” (JD, 23:104.)
Now, I declare to you that if we are not in the beginning stages of the fulfillment of this prophecy, we are at least in the stages where we are preparing for its fulfillment.
“Suppose a nation in some distant region should take the Bible as their only law book and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited. Every member would be obligated in conscience to temperance and frugality and industry, to justice and kindness and charity toward his fellowmen, and to piety, love, and reverence toward Almighty God. In this commonwealth no man would impair his health with gluttony, drunkenness or lust. No man would sacrifice his precious time to cards or trifling with other mean amusements. No man would steal or lie or in any way defraud his neighbor, but would live in peace and good will toward all men. No man would blaspheme his Maker or profane his worship, but a rational and manly, a sincere and unaffected devotion would reign in the hearts of all men. What a utopia, what a paradise this region would be.”
I want to issue you a challenge. I want you who are the best trained, the best educated, who have been given these great advantages here in America to literally become the conscience of America and the molders of its destiny and future. With your knowledge, your training, your understanding of how God works in the hearts of his children here on earth, let us obligate ourselves to temperance, to frugality, and to industry. Let us show justice, kindness, and charity toward our fellowmen. Let us demonstrate the love and reverence we should exhibit toward our Almighty God. Let us not trifle with the things that are holy to God.
Fifty-six men represented 2.5 million in 1776 to bring about a new nation that has literally blessed the whole world. That was one man to every 45,000. Today I’m calling on each of you to exert an influence over about 220 million people in this land. The odds are even better for you; the advantage is on your side. This is the time for you to be bold enough to stand up for what you believe, to let the world know that God still blesses this great land of America—if we will live righteously, according to that which he has commanded.
Will God bless us that we may have the courage to fulfill our responsibility here? I know by personal experience during these last two years that the heavens are still open, that he still does direct his work here. That message should ring from the hilltops of this nation during its Bicentennial. Will you have the courage to stand up with me and be counted with those who would preserve this land of the free through the righteousness of its people?
I can't believe this was written 34 years ago this July. Wow! I love it and feel the responsibility to stand up for what I believe in. I'm not sure how exactly yet, but I'll keep you posted and hopefully get a little more involved.



2 comments:
Amy,
This is an awesome talk! Interestingly enough, I attended my local caucus last night. It was my first time - and a very interesting experience. I learned new things about how the political process works and I got to take part in voting for delegates who ulitimately determine which candidates will get the party nomination. It was invigorating to feel like I was taking part in the process, but most of all it was inspiring to be in a room with so many people who were charged up about taking action and making a difference. The feeling of pride in our country and a desire to honor what was inspired by our founding fathers was palpable. I am grateful I had a chance to attend. I will definitely look for more opportunities and do my part to get informed on the candidates who want to represent our state.
Thanks for sharing those incredible witnesses that Heavenly Father is ultimately in control. It's all part of the plan! :-) Phil got to attend our local caucus and expressed the same sentiments that Amy did. How blessed we are to have the freedom to express our beliefs and to vote to support those who can bring those beliefs to the forefront and uphold laws protecting our rights. Additionally, how blessed are we to add to that~ our knowledge of the gospel. I'm grateful for revelation...for the wisdom of a loving Heavenly Father who teaches us to be prepared so we can feel peace in a turbulent world. Awesome!
Post a Comment